Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Slow Decline...part 2

I was talking with a woman who is about twenty years my senior. When she told me that she was leaving to vacation with her husband in Paris I told her that she was so blessed to be taking such a romantic trip with her beloved, far away from distractions of everyday life. She literally laughed out loud and told me that I was still young and had a lot to learn. When I reminded her that I had 14 years of marriage under my belt she replied, "Oh yea, well just give it a few more years." My heart was saddened. She bought into the lie that marriage is at its best during the honeymoon and then it begins a slow and dreadful decline. This seems to be the consensus among the general population. I suppose that anything left unattended will decline - marriage is no different.
Let's explore this topic together.

3 comments:

  1. Say, I've got a good question for you. I see all these "part 2" blogs from you. Am I missing the "part 1" blogs somewhere?
    In any case, I look forward to all my tomorrows with Danny. You and Dale have taught me (as well as seeing other marital examples gone horribly wrong and some really good ones. Thanks Jan and Harold!) that we are the most important thing to each other after God. Our jobs will cease one day, our kids will grow up and move away, even our friends will move on with their lives at some point. I may only have 3 years of marriage under my belt, as you put it, but I look forward to every day with the love of my life. I feel sad for the women who believe that marriage only gets worse with time and not better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it gets better and better and better! Every day I find new ways in which to love my husband.

    Jen (sent by Lynn V.)

    http://narrowwaywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of theories about marriage, the success and decline thereof, but I will only mention this one small thought. Attitude.

    It can be applied to all aspects of our lives, it can change our perspective, our ways of thinking, and even the way we say things to one another.

    Since I've been married less than a year, I guess I'm still considered to be in the honeymoon phase, so my opinions are those of a happily married wife. That doesn't mean we barf rainbows at each other every day, or sit and stare at each other by candlelight.

    We share one principle that has brought us through the toughest of situations... Humor. We laugh, we joke, we make light of things, and sometimes we do the silliest things just to make one another laugh.

    I read a quote that I can't seem to find now, but it goes something like this... Getting married is a choice. Staying married is work... I never knew exactly what that meant until I was married. I work at it every day. :)

    ReplyDelete